Friday, April 13, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday the 13th!

Ah, a Fiber Arts Friday with stuff to share!
First up, Dillon's Longies, which I think of as Dillongies. I made these for a neighbor who lives in these comfy wool pants, longies for winter and soakers for summer, over his cloth diapers. I was shocked to find that they took a little more than two skeins of Cascade 220, and rather longer to knit than I expected. Worth every penny of the many pennies his mother pays for them! 
                     
I swatched this Valley Yarns cotton/microfiber from my stash for a possible cardigan, but it's not going to work. I will store the swatches with the yarn for next time, with a note that I washed the swatches and they didn't budge. 
                                     
Every now and then I make a square of sock yarn for this eventual throw. Yes, it's going to take forever, but it's not only a good use of odds and ends of yarn, it gives me something to buy when I visit a yarn shop and don't see anything else! You know how it is, you want to be supportive of the friendly shop owner but there isn't one thing calling you? I can always find a pretty sock yarn, and I can tell my husband it's a vacation souvenir and not a yarn purchase. 
It's been such a long time since I worked on this (it usually lives in the car for emergencies) that I had to search for the original pattern online to figure out how I did the increases and decreases. Right, forever until it's done. 

Summer is a good time for sock knitting, and I'm getting a few things ready. I bought these two gorgeous sock yarns at The Knitter's Edge in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. I love that shop and wish it was closer. I will be dividing these into two toe-up balls with matching starting points, because that's just how it has to be. This yarn is super soft.
My daughter-in-law brought this gorgeous skein back from Trieste, Italy. I'll be casting on a pair of socks for myself this summer, too.
I added two new patterns to my library this week:
Clara, Lori Versaci
Yoked Cardigan, Hannah Fettig, from baby to adult sizes.
Finally, I knitted and donated a dog sweater for Pottstown's Bark for Life, I sewed a few Kindle covers for my etsy shop, and got a signed copy Wool in the mail yesterday. Check this post for a review of Wool! 

Whew. 
I'm off to explore other Fiber Arts Friday blogs!

5 comments:

Minding My Own Stitches said...

That big sock yarn afghan is unbelievable. I'm tempted but I'm afraid I'd never finish it. I'd probably only manage one square. Your square is lovely so far - all my favourite colours,

Anna said...

I know, isn't that afghan something? It will go on for years, but I have a few squares finished. Come to think of it, once you have a handful of them finished, you could actually stitch them together and start using it....!

WonderWhyGal said...

Those little pants are totally cute.

I love the yarns you picked. Beautiful colors and so are the patterns.

Kathryn Ray said...

Oh, that afghan is cool!

Sophia said...

The longies came out so cute!