Saturday, March 27, 2010

Tie Dye Eggs

This was a fun Easter egg project! I was in a little fabric store that sells designer ends, and another customer told me about a way to use the silk tie fabric. They had rolls of tie fabrics for $1 a yard, and since I am not making any ties for DH (!) I bought a few to try this egg thing. The fabric, by the way, is pretty cool - cuts are clearly indicated and the blue one has the designer's label strategically printed so that it will end up on the back of the tie. If I was going to make it into a tie. Not.
However, if you don't have a access to $1 a yard tie fabric, you are supposed to take an old silk tie (or blouse, or whatever) and pick the back apart so you can cut the bottom of the tie off to make a square. It must be 100% silk.

Wrap the egg in a square of tie fabric, printed side facing the egg. Twist-tie it closed.
 Wrap a small square of cotton fabric - old sheet, muslin, whatever you have - around the egg and twist-tie it closed as well.
 Put all the eggs into your egg-boiling pan, add 3 tablespoons of vinegar, bring to a boil, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove them and allow to cool COMPLETELY before you oh-so-excitedly untwist the ties and open the fabric to reveal...
 Ta da!! You can see that the darker the tie the better, because the color is light. And I see my fold marks, which I might be able to work on if I decide to dye more eggs. However, every small detail from the tie is there. If you like your eggs you can polish them with some cooking oil so they are shiny. 

Happy Easter!

3 comments:

Liz Keuffer said...

This far too easy to actually work.

Anna said...

I know, but it does! I have to hit Goodwill to see if I can find .50 ties!

DS1SO said...

I can't get over how awesome these are. So cool!