Saturday, March 13, 2010

Olive Oil!

Have you been to A Taste of Olive in West Chester, if you are a local? An entire store of olive oils and balsamic vinegars, with a few other specialties as well. That's right. Entire store. Check out the website; it's an education in oil and vinegar. Every one of them is set up for tasting - lovely dispensers with stacks of small tasting cups.

I think it's interesting that on my first and second trips there I chose the same olive oil without realizing it. There are perhaps a dozen filtered and unfiltered EVOOs from all over the world to choose from, and I clearly know what I like: the Italian Leccino. Yesterday, however, I nearly bought an unfiltered Grecian, but decided I didn't yet need another bottle of unflavored. What did I buy? Glad you asked.
 Aren't they lovely?
Lavender Aged Balsamic Vinegar, Modena, Italy
Grapeseed Oil (Which I used sparingly, for a high-heat sear or when I need a no-flavor-at-all oil.)
Persian Lime EVOO, Tunisia
Honey Ginger Aged Balsamic Vinegar, Modena, Italy
Roasted Sesame EVOO, Japan

Both my sons were with me, one willing to taste a few things, one looking forward to tasting everything. DS1 bought a few things to take back to Virginia. His selection:

Aceite Nuevo, California - an unfiltered EVOO
Golden Pineapple Balsamic, Modena, Italy
A jar of Himalayan Salt. Gorgeous color, eh? A strong salt, to my taste.


DS2  really liked the Lavender Balsamic, and he isn't a huge balsamic fan in general. Last night I made a delicious dressing with it and the lime vinegar for a spinach and walnut salad. Delicious.



3 comments:

Jeanny House said...

There's one like that in Madison called Vom Fass. I've bought some lovely things there.

susan said...

They ARE truly lovely! And so is your "knew" blog, Ms. Anna! congrats!

DS1SO said...

Mmmm, now I wish I had some olive oil here for breakfast...